Each SmartThings Hub is designated a unique six-character Welcome Code that must be entered to activate the Hub.
You may need to reset your Welcome Code if you see one of the following messages during setup:
- "No unclaimed Hub found for that Welcome Code"
- "Invalid Welcome Code"
- "ZigBee ID must be unique"
- "This Hub was previously used and cannot be activated"
You can reset your Welcome Code by factory resetting the Hub.
A physical factory reset (steps found in the next section below) is only possible for the Hub v2 with firmware 17.11 and up.
Need to check your Hub’s firmware version? Find out how here.
If you have a Hub v1 or a Hub with firmware below 17.11, you can reset your Hub by deleting the Location it is connected to instead with these steps. If you do not have the account access needed to delete your v1 Hub’s current Location, contact support. Please provide the Hub's serial number, as well as a photo of the serial number and barcode located on the bottom of the Hub or inside the battery compartment.
To factory reset the Hub:
NOTE: All device connections, automations, rules, configurations, and SmartApps associated with that Hub will be lost in the factory reset. All devices connected to the Hub will have to be reset or excluded before they can be reconnected.
- Make sure the Hub is plugged in with the included power and network cables
- Press and hold the red recessed button on the back of the Hub for 30 seconds. When the LED on the front switches from flashing yellow to solid yellow, release the button
- Note: If you do not release the button within a few seconds after the LED switches to solid yellow, the Hub may not begin the reset
The Hub will take 10-15 minutes to fully factory reset. Once the LEDs on the Hub turn solid green, you should then be able to connect your Hub again.
Remember: Resetting your Welcome Code allows you to activate your Hub using the original unique Welcome Code again. The Welcome Code is packaged with the Hub, located on a card under the Hub's tray in the box. Newer Hubs also have the Welcome Code inside the battery compartment.
If you do not know your Welcome Code, contact support to retrieve your Welcome Code. Again, please provide the Hub's serial number, as well as a photo of the serial number and barcode located on the bottom of the Hub or inside the battery compartment.