Mobile presence gives you the ability to know when people come and go using the location services on their phones. If your presence status is updating inconsistently, there are some steps you can take to optimise performance.
The steps below are not guaranteed fixes, as there are many variables outside of SmartThings’ control that affect mobile presence. Wi-Fi and cellular connectivity, mobile devices’ native capabilities and battery/data allocation, electromagnetic fields, solar flares (no joke), and other innumerable factors can influence your presence status. Results vary by person, by phone, and by whether you wish hard enough (yes joke).
For further information about mobile presence behaviour, common issues, and the role your phone plays, read this article.
Try the following:
- Enable location services on your phone and set them to their highest accuracy. Also give SmartThings permission to access location services at all times.
- On iOS: Settings > Privacy > Location Services > SmartThings = "Always"
- On Android: Settings > Location > "On" and using wireless networks (Mode = “High accuracy”)
- On Windows Phone: System Settings > Battery Saver > Usage > Select "SmartThings" > Enable "Allow this app to run in the background even when battery saver is on"
- Enable Wi-Fi. This is a must.
- Make sure your geofence is in the correct location.
- In the SmartThings mobile app, tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the gear icon beside the Location
- Tap the map (if needed, long press to place the pin in a new spot on the map, or tap and hold the pin to drag it)
- Tap and drag the dot to change the size of the geofence surrounding your home
- Tap Save when you're done
If you've tried everything and still aren’t seeing results, send your mobile presence log files to the SmartThings support team.
From the SmartThings mobile app:
On iOS: Menu > Support > Help Us Debug > Send your Mobile Presence logs
This will generate a pre-populated email. Be sure to enter a brief description of your issue in the body of the email where indicated.
On Android: Menu > Support > Help Us Debug > Check the box for Geofence Diagnostic Log (if not already checked) > Tap Send Geofence Log and choose your preferred email client
This will generate a pre-populated email. Be sure to enter a brief description of your issue in the body of the email.