These instructions apply to compatible locks. Please check the compatible products list to ensure your lock is supported by SmartThings.
Troubleshooting Your Lock
If you're experiencing incorrect states from your lock within the SmartThings app, check the following:
- Batteries: Make sure the batteries are not drained and that the lock is responding. If the batteries are dead, the SmartThings app will always report the last known state of the lock.
- Range: Your lock may be too far away to send commands to the SmartThings Hub. To confirm whether this is the case, try unlocking or locking the door lock from your SmartThings app to see if it responds. If not, you may need to relocate the Hub or install other Z-Wave devices to extend the range of your network.
- Network Connection: Make sure your Hub is plugged in and receiving an internet connection. Additionally, make sure your smartphone has a solid connection so that changes and updates from the Hub can be sent to the phone.
- Z-Wave Associations and Secure Inclusion: During the connection process, an extra layer of “handshaking” between the Hub and the lock occurs. This happens automatically when connecting a lock. If your lock does not correctly report its status, it's likely that it only partially connected or an association (also known as a secure inclusion) failed during the connection process. Remove and reconnect your lock to the SmartThings Hub in order to attempt the association again.
Removing Your Lock
If your lock has previous network settings from another controller or Hub, or if it is partially connected to your current Hub, follow the instructions below to remove your lock.
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When you see the message "Please follow manufacturer's instructions to remove the Z-Wave device from My SmartThings," follow your lock's removal/exclusion process
If executed successfully, you will see a message saying "Z-Wave lock has been successfully removed from My SmartThings." After successful removal, proceed to connecting the lock.
First, remove the device via the SmartThings app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Tap the device you wish to remove
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal (this cannot be undone)
Next, physically reset the device according to the manufacturer's instructions. Then, proceed to connecting the lock.
Connecting Your Lock
Follow the connection instructions specific to your lock. Search the Support site to find instructions for SmartThings-compatible locks, or explore these sections of our Support site: