The Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor (Gen 5) is not just small and compact—it's practically invisible. This clever sensor installs within your door's frame, so you will see its effects but not the device itself.
Connect this Z-Wave sensor with SmartThings to effortlessly monitor every time a door opens or closes within your home. Combine the sensor with controllable outlets to turn on the lights when the door opens.
To connect the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor (Gen 5) with the SmartThings Hub
First, prepare the device:
- Place the device within 1-2 feet of the SmartThings Hub
- Open the device’s capsule using a small screwdriver in the press-tab
- Pull the sensor unit out of the capsule
- Remove the clear battery pull-tab
Next, in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, press the Z-Wave button on the device with a small pin or toothpick
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
To reset the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor (Gen 5)
If the Recessed Door Sensor was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When prompted, press the Z-Wave button on the device with a small pin or toothpick
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor.
To remove the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor (Gen 5) from SmartThings
If the Recessed Door Sensor is connected but not performing as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal
- When prompted, perform the exclusion procedure to remove the device from the mobile app and from the SmartThings Hub
For technical specifications and product details, visit our products page here.