There are lots of great SmartThings-compatible switches to choose from, like the Aeotec Smart Energy Switch. This Z-Wave on/off appliance switch may look a little different than others, but for good reason—it has the bonus of not blocking nearby A/C outlets.
The Aeotec Smart Energy Switch allows you to easily turn on and turn off lamps and appliances from your smartphone, or you can automate their behaviour based on customizable triggers. This switch also works as a repeater for other Z-Wave devices on your network.
To connect the Aeotec Smart Energy Switch with the SmartThings Hub
First, plug the Smart Energy Switch into an outlet.
Then, in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, press the button on the switch (see above)
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
To reset the Aeotec Smart Energy Switch
If the Aeotec Smart Energy Switch was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When you see the message "Please follow manufacturer's instructions to remove the Z-Wave device from My SmartThings," press the button on the switch (see above)
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the Aeotec Smart Energy Switch.