Some older models of the first-party SmartThings devices have a known problem with the “REMOVE TO PAIR” pull-tab. This issue has been resolved for new devices, but some customers may have already received devices with defective tabs.
These instructions apply to:
- SmartThings Multi/Multipurpose Sensor
- SmartThings Motion Sensor
- SmartThings Presence/Arrival Sensor
- SmartThings Moisture/Water Leak Sensor
Signs of a defective pull-tab
If you experience any of the following issues with a new SmartThings device, the pull-tab may be the cause:
- The device’s LED doesn’t light up after the pull-tab is removed.
- The new device won’t pair after the pull-tab is removed.
- The tab breaks or shears off when pulled.
Completely removing the pull-tab, or pieces of the pull-tab, from the device will resolve pairing problems. To do this:
- Open the cover of the device according to its included instructions. (Click the following link and select your device to find its instruction manual.)
- Remove the battery.
- Blow on the battery and the contacts within its housing to clear away any film from the pull-tab.
Next, either replace the device’s battery and cover, or follow the device’s reset instructions to connect it with the Hub. Most SmartThings devices require removal of the battery to reset the device, so you may wish to perform a reset while the battery is already removed.
Once connected with the SmartThings Hub, the device’s performance and usability will not be affected in any way.