The Smappee Monitor is an innovative solar energy monitor that allows you to measure the total energy production of your solar panels as well as the energy consumption of your home and its appliances. Connect the Smappee Monitor with SmartThings to see in real time how much energy is being used and how much your solar is saving you. With SmartThings and Smappee, you can even configure an energy alert to notify your smartphone when wattage goes above or below a certain level.
The Monitor also comes with a Smappee Comfort Plug that enables you to control plugged-in appliances remotely—turn them on exactly when you need them or off when you don’t.
Note: The Smappee Monitor comes with one free Smappee Comfort Plug, but its use is optional. The Smappee Plug will not work with SmartThings independent of the Monitor.
To connect the Smappee Monitor with SmartThings
1. Set up your Smappee account
2. Connect the Smappee Monitor in the Smappee app
Once connected, the Smappee app will update the Power ratings.
IMPORTANT: The Monitor needs to run continuously for more than a week until the Smappee algorithm can detect and change the “Always On” to determine base load level.
OPTIONAL: Connect the Smappee Comfort Plug
- Open the Smappee app
- Under Appliances, tap + to add a new device
- Plug in the Smappee Plug
- Follow the in-app instructions to add the Plug to your Smappee account
3. Connect the Smappee device with SmartThings
In the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap Marketplace
- Under Things, tap More
- Tap Energy Meters
- Tap Smappee
- Tap Smappee Monitor
- Tap the Click to enter your Smappee credentials field
- Enter your Smappee login credentials (username and password)
- Tap Sign In
- Tap Accept to allow SmartThings access to your Smappee service location
- When the app confirms that Smappee is connected, tap Next
- Tap the Tap to choose field
- Select the box for the Smappee Monitor (and Smappee Plug, if applicable)
- Tap Done
- Tap Done again
- You will see a message confirming that your Smappee account is connected to SmartThings
- Tap Done to finish setup
Note: Your Smappee devices and the SmartThings Hub will have to be on the same local network in order to work together.
To use and configure Smappee Monitor devices within SmartThings
Access your Smappee devices from the Things view within the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Tap the device
To remove the Smappee Monitor from SmartThings
If the Smappee Monitor is not performing as expected, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the menu
- Tap Edit Device
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal (this cannot be undone)
Then, follow Step 3. Connect the Smappee device with SmartThings instructions above to reconnect the Smappee Monitor.
Smappee Monitor Technical Details
- Communication Protocol: Cloud connected
- Dimensions: 3 x 9.8 x 7.1 inches
- Region: US and UK