Never worry about whether you left your garage door open again! The Iris Z-Wave Garage Door Controller (GD-00Z-1), along with SmartThings, allows you to remotely open, close, and monitor your garage door. You can also automate your garage door to open and close based on a schedule, your mobile presence, or other SmartThings connected devices–whatever suits your needs!
Note: This device is compatible with the SmartThings Classic app.
To connect the Iris Garage Door Controller
1. Install the tilt sensor
The Iris Garage Door Controller includes a wireless tilt sensor that attaches to the inside of the garage door. The tilt sensor reports “open” or “closed” status to SmartThings.
Consult the Iris Garage Door Controller installation instructions, which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this article, to install the tilt sensor.
2. Pair the Iris Garage Door Controller with the SmartThings Hub
First, connect the Iris Garage Door Controller power cord and plug in the device within 10 feet of the SmartThings Hub.
Next, in the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, press the Link button on the controller
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
3. Mount and connect the garage door opener
Consult the Iris Garage Door Controller installation instructions, which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this article, to mount the Iris Garage Door Controller and to connect its wires. If you need help installing the Iris Garage Door Controller, contact a certified electrician.
To reset the Iris Garage Door Controller
If the Iris Garage Door Controller was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When prompted, press the Link button on the controller
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the Iris Garage Door Controller.
To automate the Iris Garage Door Controller
With the Iris Garage Door Controller and a simple Routine, you can configure your garage door to open and close automatically based on activity, time of day, or other events.
From the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap Automations
- Tap Routines if necessary
- Tap the plus icon
- Tap “What do you want to do?” to name the Routine (e.g., “Automate Garage Door”)
- Tap Next
- Tap Open or close garage doors
- Tap Garage doors
- Select the connected Iris Garage Door Controller
- Tap Done
- Tap Action to tell the garage door to Open or Close when the Routine is triggered
- Tap Done
- Tap Done again
- Configure additional Routine settings as desired (e.g., Tap Automatically perform "Routine Name" to trigger your garage door to open or close when someone arrives, everyone leaves, at a specific time, at sunrise or sunset, only during certain Modes, etc.)
- Tap Done to complete setup
Depending on how you configured the Routine, the garage door will automatically open or close when certain events occur. You can also manually trigger the Routine by tapping its icon from the main Routines view.
To remove the Iris Garage Door Controller from SmartThings
If the Iris Garage Door Controller is connected but not operating as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal
- When prompted, perform the exclusion procedure to remove the device from the mobile app and from the SmartThings Hub
|Garage Door Controller Installation Manual.pdf||400 KB|