The ADT Door and Window Detector monitors whether doors and windows are open or closed. With SmartThings, your ADT Security Hub can then send an alert to your smartphone, automate connected devices, or initiate optional ADT professional monitoring services (additional fees apply). Use the ADT Door and Window Detectors to protect doors and windows where an intruder might be able to enter your home.
Note: The ADT Door and Window Detector requires the ADT Security Hub.
How to connect the ADT Door and Window Detector to the ADT Security Hub
Take the ADT Door and Window Detector to where you intend to mount it after setup. Make sure you are within 350 feet from the ADT Security Hub. (Exact range depends on your home’s construction, the environment, and the position of the ADT Security Hub.) Also make sure your ADT Security Hub is disarmed before connecting a new device.
In the SmartThings app:
- From the Home screen, touch the Plus (+) icon and select Devices
- Select ADT, touch ADT Security Devices, and then ADT Door and Window Detector
- Remove the battery tab from the device
- If the battery tab has already been removed or the device LED is not blinking, see the “How to reset the ADT Door and Window Detector” section below
- While the Hub searches, scan the QR code on the front of the device
- If scanning the QR code doesn’t work, enter the 16-digit Installation code manually
- When the device is discovered, a message will appear that the device was successfully connected to your SmartThings Hub
- Tap Edit to rename the device
- When finished, tap Done
- Tap Done again to confirm
Remove the QR code from the back of the detector and attach it inside the included Setup Guide for future reference.
Note: If you have an ADT professional monitoring service activated, additional testing is required whenever you connect a new device. Follow the in-app steps when prompted.
How to reset the ADT Door and Window Detector
If the ADT Door and Window Detector didn't connect successfully when you removed the battery pull-tab and scanned the QR Code, reset the device before you try connecting it again.
- Press and release the button on the device twice
- Press and hold the button for approximately 5 seconds until the LED turns solid
- After a few seconds, the LED will start to blink slowly, indicating it is in pairing mode for 3 minutes
Next, follow the steps above in “How to connect the ADT Door and Window Detector to the ADT Security Hub.” After scanning the QR code, the ADT Security Hub should discover your device within a couple of minutes.
How to mount the ADT Door and Window Detector
The ADT Door and Window Detector comes with pre-applied adhesive tape for mounting both parts of the detector to your door or window. Make sure that door and window detector is within 350 feet of the Hub. This system is intended for indoor use only. Use this on a door or window where an intruder might be able to enter your home.
- Find a spot to place the detector on the top of your door or window frame to avoid accidental damage
- Make sure all surfaces are clean and dry
- Ensure that the detector and the magnet are not mounted in the same place, the detector should be on the door or window frame, while the magnet should be on the door or window itself
- Using the alignment marks, line up the magnet and detector in the desired spot so that both parts are less than half an inch apart when the door or window is closed
- Use the pre-applied adhesive tape to mount the detector. Make sure to place them correctly, as the adhesive tape will be difficult to remove after mounting
If it's difficult to align both parts of the detector properly, you may want to adjust the height of the magnet by squeezing the tabs on the side or by adding the spacer supplied with the detector.
How to configure the ADT Door and Window Detector Security Settings
Once your ADT Door and Window Detector is connected, it will appear in your list of devices under the Devices tab in the SmartThings app. This device is now ready to be used within your Home Security system to arm.
You can add more details regarding your device’s location and how it is being used within the Security Settings. This will be useful if your home is protected by the optional ADT Professional Monitoring Services, so the ADT operator can tell emergency personnel the exact location of the device that triggered the alarm, in the case they have to dispatch the police or fire department.
- From the Home screen, tap Home Security
- Touch more options ()
- Tap Security settings
- Select the ADT Door and Window Detector
- On this screen you can set the following:
- Security Zone:
- Entry/exit: A door mainly used to go in and out of your home. This setting gives you 60 seconds to leave when arming and 30 seconds to disarm when entering
- Perimeter: A window or door you typically don’t use to go in or out of your home. If opened when the system is armed, it triggers an immediate alarm
- No Response: A location like your medicine or liquor cabinet where no alarm is triggered, but you can still set up audible alerts for the panel
- Security Zone:
- After you have set the details for the device, tap Save
Read this guide to learn more about Home Security with your ADT Security Hub.
How to replace the ADT Door and Window Detector's batteries
- Remove the cover by twisting a small flat screwdriver or a coin in the slot on either end of the detector
- Remove the old battery and insert a new CR2450 battery. Be sure to install the battery with the + side up
- Replace the cover