The ADT Motion Detector monitors motion in a defined area of your home. With SmartThings, your ADT Security Hub can then send an alert to your smartphone, automate connected devices, or initiate optional ADT Professional Monitoring Services (additional fees apply).
Note: The ADT Motion Detector requires the ADT Security Hub.
How to connect the ADT Motion Detector to the ADT Security Hub
Take the ADT Motion Detector to where you intend to mount it after setup. Make sure you are within 350 feet from the ADT Security Hub. (Exact range depends on your home’s construction, the environment, and the position of the ADT Security Hub.) Also make sure your ADT Security Hub is disarmed before connecting a new device.
In the SmartThings app:
- From the Home screen, touch the Plus (+) icon and select Device
- Select ADT, touch ADT Security Devices, and then ADT Motion Detector
- Remove the battery tab from the device
- If the battery tab has already been removed or the device LED is not blinking, see the “How to reset the ADT Motion Detector” section below
- While the Hub searches, scan the QR code on the front of the device
- If scanning the QR code doesn’t work, enter the 16-digit Installation code manually
- When the device is discovered, a message will appear that the device was successfully connected to your SmartThings Hub
- Tap Edit to rename the device
- When finished, tap Done
- Tap Done again to confirm
Remove the QR code from the front of the detector and attach it inside the included Setup Guide for future reference.
Note: If you have an ADT professional monitoring service activated, additional testing is required whenever you connect a new device. Follow the in-app steps when prompted.
How to reset the ADT Motion Detector
If the ADT Motion Detector didn't connect successfully when you removed the battery pull-tab and scanned the QR Code, reset the device before you try connecting it again.
- Remove the back cover by pressing the button at the bottom and pulling the cover while it’s down
- Press and release the tamper switch twice
- Press and hold the tamper switch for approximately 5 seconds until the LED on the front turns solid
- After a few seconds, the LED will start to blink slowly, indicating it is in pairing mode for 3 minutes
Next, follow the steps above in “How to connect the ADT Motion Detector to the ADT Security Hub.” After scanning the QR code, the ADT Security Hub should discover your device within a couple of minutes.
How to mount the ADT Motion Detector
The ADT Motion Detector should be placed in a high-traffic area where an intruder would be likely to pass within a 30-foot range, e.g. living room or hallway. Ensure that nothing is obstructing the detector's view or could possibly cause a false alarm, such as:
- Stairs, furniture, or other surfaces that a pet might climb on
- Rooms where large pets (over 55lbs) may be present
- Heat sources, such as vents or fireplaces
To mount the ADT Motion Detector, use the mounting brackets supplied with the detector.
- Pick a location 6.5 to 7.5 feet above the floor
- Secure the wall mount to the wall
- If you're placing the detector in a corner, use the corner mount
- If you're placing the detector on a flat wall, use the flat wall mount
- Remove the back cover of the ADT Motion Detector by pressing the button at the bottom and pulling the cover while it's down
- Affix the wall mount bracket to the back cover of the detector
- Secure the back cover of the detector to the front
- Attach the wall mount bracket and detector to the corner or flat wall mount
To adjust the angle of the detector, use a screwdriver on the arm of the wall mount bracket. You can also use the supplied mounting tape if you do not want to use the wall bracket.
How to configure the ADT Motion Detector security settings
Once your ADT Motion Detector is connected, it will appear in your list of devices under the Devices tab in the SmartThings app. This device is now ready to be used within your Home Security system to arm.
You can add more details regarding your device’s location. This will be useful if your home is protected by the optional ADT Professional Monitoring Services, so the ADT operator can tell emergency personnel the exact location of the device that triggered the alarm, in the case they have to dispatch the police or fire department.
- From the Home screen, tap Home Security
- Touch More Options ()
- Tap Security settings
- Select the ADT Motion Detector
- On this screen you can set the following:
- After you have set the details for the location of the device, tap Save
Read this guide to learn more about Home Security with your ADT Security Hub.
How to replace the ADT Motion Detector's batteries
- Remove the cover by pressing on the bottom of the detector
- Remove the old battery and insert a new CR123A battery. Be sure to install the battery correctly
- Replace the cover