The ADT Water Leak Detector monitors for water leaks in your home. When the contacts on the top or the bottom of the detector sense water, the ADT Security Hub can send an alert to your smartphone or ADT Security Panel.
How to connect the ADT Water Leak Detector to the ADT Security Hub
In the SmartThings app:
- From the Home screen, touch the Plus (+) icon and select Device
- Select ADT, touch ADT Security Devices, and then ADT Water Leak Detector
- Choose a Hub for the device and touch Next
- Choose a Room for the device and touch Next
- While the Hub searches, move the Water Leak Detector within 15 feet of the Hub and pull the battery tab on the device:
- If the battery tab has already been removed, see the “How to reset the ADT Water Leak Detector” section below
- When the device is discovered, a message will appear that the device was successfully connected to your SmartThings Hub
- Tap Edit to rename the device
- When finished, tap Done
- Tap Done again to confirm
How to reset the ADT Water Leak Detector
If the ADT Water Leak Detector didn't connect successfully when you removed the battery pull-tab, reset the device before you try connecting it again.
First, move the Water Leak Detector within 15 feet of the Hub.
- Remove the cover by rotating it counterclockwise
- Press and hold the Connect button for 5 seconds
- After the button is released, the LED will blink quickly for a few seconds, go dark for a few seconds, then blink slowly to indicate it is in pairing mode
Note: When replacing the cover, ensure that the indicator dots on top of the sensor line up.
Next, follow the steps above in “How to connect the ADT Water Leak Detector to the ADT Security Hub.” The Hub should automatically discover your device within a couple of minutes.
How to place the ADT Water Leak Detector
Place the ADT Water Leak Detector in areas of your home that are at risk of a water leak, e.g. bathrooms, basements, clogged drains, or old pipes.
Make sure to place the ADT Water Leak Detector so that:
- If a pool of water forms below the detector, moisture will touch all the metal contacts at the bottom of the detector to trigger an alert
- If water drips from above the detector, water will touch both metal contacts at the top of the detector to trigger an alert
Note: Make sure to test the ADT Water Leak Detector after finding an ideal location. See the Setup Guide that came packaged with your device for safety tips.
How to configure the ADT Water Leak Detector Security Settings
Once your ADT Water Leak Detector is connected, it will appear in your list of devices under the Devices tab in the SmartThings app. This device is now ready to be used within your Life Safety alerts.
You can add more details regarding your device's location. This will be useful if your home is protected by the optional ADT Professional Monitoring Services, so the ADT operator can tell you the exact location of the device that triggered the alarm in the case that a water leak is detected.
- From the Home screen, tap Home Security
- Touch More Options ()
- Tap Security settings
- Select the ADT Water Leak Detector
- On this screen you can set the following:
- After you have set the details for the location of the device, tap Save
Read this guide to learn more about Life Safety with your ADT Security Hub.