The ADT Smoke Alarm monitors for smoke and extreme temperatures in your home (heat above 135°F, or freeze below 40°F). When smoke or extreme heat is detected, the alarm sounds and a notification is sent to your ADT Security Hub. With SmartThings, your ADT Security Hub can send an alert to your smartphone, automate connected devices, or initiate optional ADT professional monitoring services (additional fees apply).
Note: The ADT Smoke Alarm requires the ADT Security Hub.
How to connect the ADT Smoke Alarm to the ADT Security Hub
Take the ADT Smoke Alarm to where you intend to mount it after setup. Make sure you are within 350 feet from the ADT Security Hub. (Exact range depends on your home’s construction, the environment, and the position of the ADT Security Hub). Also make sure your ADT Security Hub is disarmed before connecting a new device.
In the SmartThings app:
- From the Home screen, touch the Plus (+) icon and select Device
- Select ADT, touch ADT Security Devices, and then ADT Smoke Alarm
- Take off the back cover and remove the battery tab from the device
- If the battery tab has already been removed or the device LED is not blinking, see the “How to reset the ADT Smoke Alarm” section below
- While the Hub searches, scan the QR code on the front of the device
- If scanning the QR code doesn’t work, enter the 16-digit Installation code manually
- When the device is discovered, a message will appear that the device was successfully connected to your SmartThings Hub
- Tap Edit to rename the device
- When finished, tap Done
- Tap Done again to confirm
Remove the QR code from the front of the alarm and attach it inside the included Setup Guide for future reference.
Note: If you have an ADT professional monitoring service activated, additional testing is required whenever you connect a new device. Follow the in-app steps when prompted.
How to reset the ADT Smoke Alarm
If the ADT Smoke Alarm didn't connect successfully when you removed the battery pull-tab and scanned the QR Code, reset the device before you try connecting it again.
- Remove the back cover
- Press and release the button on the circuit board twice
- Press and hold the button for approximately 5 seconds until the LED on the front turns solid
- After a few seconds, the LED will start to blink slowly, indicating it is in pairing mode for 3 minutes
Next, follow the steps above in “How to connect the ADT Smoke Alarm to the ADT Security Hub.” After scanning the QR code, the ADT Security Hub should discover your device within a couple of minutes.
How to place the ADT Smoke Alarm
Install the ADT Smoke Alarm in a place where the alarm can be heard easily. Ideally, per the National Fire Alarm Code (NFPA Standard 72), a smoke alarm should be installed:
- In all sleeping rooms and guest rooms
- Outside of each separate dwelling unit sleeping area within 21 feet of any door to a sleeping room, the distance measured along a path of travel
- On every level of a dwelling unit, including basements
Sufficient smoke must enter your smoke alarm before it will respond. Your smoke alarm needs to be within 21 feet of the fire to respond quickly. Smoke alarms also need to be in positions where they can be heard throughout the property, so they can wake you and your family in time for everyone to escape.
A single smoke alarm will give some protection if it is properly installed, but most homes will require two or more to ensure that a reliable early warning is given. For recommended protection you should put individual smoke alarms in all rooms where fire is most likely to break out (apart from the kitchen and bathroom, where they should be placed nearby). Your first smoke alarm should be located between the sleeping area and the most likely sources of fire, e.g. living room, but it should not be more than 21 feet from the door to any room where a fire may start and block your escape from the house.
Note: Specific requirements for smoke alarm installation vary from state to state and from region to region. Check with your local Fire Department for current requirements in your area. See the Setup Guide that came packaged with your ADT Smoke Alarm for in-depth placement information.
How to mount the ADT Smoke Alarm
Hot smoke rises and spreads out, so a central ceiling position is the recommended location. The air is "dead" and does not move in corners, therefore the ADT Smoke Alarm must be mounted away from corners. Keep at least 12 inches from walls and corners. Additionally, mount the unit at least 12 inches from any light fitting or decorative object which might prevent smoke entering the smoke alarm. Do not attach the detector to removable ceiling panels.
If ceiling mounting is impractical, smoke alarms may be mounted on a wall (if local ordinances permit), provided that:
- The top of the detection element is between 6 inches and 12 inches below the ceiling
- The bottom of the detection element is above the level of any door openings
Wall mounting should only be considered where close spaced beams or similar obstructions may preclude ceiling mounting. It is considered to be the responsibility of the installer or homeowner to determine if the presence of asbestos in the ceiling material would make ceiling mounting impractical.
Once you’ve found an acceptable location, mount the ADT Smoke Alarm:
- Install the mounting base using the two screws and anchors provided
- Fit the alarm inside the base by aligning it over the base, then turn the alarm in a clockwise direction until it clicks into place
- Test the alarm after completing installation
Note: See the Setup Guide that came packaged with your ADT Smoke Alarm for safety tips.
How to configure the ADT Smoke Alarm Security Settings
Once your ADT Smoke Alarm is connected, it will appear in your list of devices under the Devices tab in the SmartThings app. This device is now ready to be used within your Life Safety alerts.
You can add more details regarding your device’s location. This will be useful if your home is protected by the optional ADT Professional Monitoring Services, so the ADT operator can tell emergency personnel the exact location of the device that triggered the alarm, in the case they have to dispatch the police or fire department.
- From the Home screen, tap Home Security
- Touch More Options ()
- Tap Security settings
- Select the Smoke Alarm
- On this screen you can set the following:
- After you have set the details for the location of the device, tap Save
Read this guide to learn more about Life Safety with your ADT Security Hub.