The GE Plug-In Smart Switch (GE 12719) provides a Z-Wave-enabled outlet that can be used to wirelessly control both incandescent and fluorescent lamps as well as small appliances like television sets or computers. The device also comes with a standard always-on pass-through outlet and allows you to control appliances manually via the button on the outlet itself.
The SmartThings-compatible GE Plug-In Smart Switch is easy to set up, and its convenient horizontal design prevents it from blocking other outlets while in use.
To connect the GE Plug-In Smart Switch with the SmartThings Hub
First, bring the device within 10-15 feet of the Hub and plug it in.
Then, in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap Marketplace
- Under Things, tap Connect New Device (iOS) / Start looking for Things (Android)
- The app will say, I’m looking for Things… and display a spinning circle
- While the Hub searches, press the button on the module
- If it does not connect after one button press, continue to press the button every 2 seconds
To reset the GE Plug-In Smart Switch
If the GE Plug-In Smart Switch was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap the menu
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When prompted, double tap the button on the module
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the GE Plug-In Smart Switch.
To remove the GE Plug-In Smart Switch from SmartThings
If the GE Plug-In Smart Switch is connected but not operating as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal
- When prompted, perform the exclusion procedure to remove the device from the mobile app and from the SmartThings Hub
For technical specifications and product details, visit our Works With SmartThings page here.