The FortrezZ Moisture Sensor (also known as the original SmartSense Moisture Sensor, but not to be confused with the newer SmartSense Moisture Sensor) is a Z-Wave-based moisture sensor that alerts you when moisture is detected. This indoor-only sensor can identify leaks on the basement floor, under a sink, around the washing machine, or in a bathroom.
For a quick look at the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor and how it could work in your home, check out this video.
Meet The FortrezZ Moisture Sensor
How to connect the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor with the SmartThings Hub
In the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, move the moisture sensor within 5 feet of the Hub
- Remove the battery pull-tab from the sensor
- Press the button on the front of the sensor
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
How to reset the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor
If the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When prompted, press and hold the button on the front of the sensor until the LED blinks 3 times (after about 2 seconds)
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor.
How to remove the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor from SmartThings
If the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor is connected but not operating as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal
- When prompted, perform the exclusion procedure to remove the device from the mobile app and from the SmartThings Hub
Troubleshooting the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor
If the moisture sensor did not connect with the Hub, press its button and observe the LED.
If the LED does NOT light up when pressing the sensor’s button, check the following:
- Batteries: The batteries may be drained and need to be replaced. Also check that the batteries are seated correctly and that the black battery holder isn't cracked or broken. This could lead to no contact with the batteries.
- Wiring: Check the wiring inside the enclosure. If any wires are disconnected or broken, the device won't function. Contact SmartThings Support if there is obvious physical damage to the device.
If the LED does light up when pressing the sensor’s button:
- Range: Make sure the device is close to the SmartThings Hub. This device is particularly sensitive to range issues when connecting for the first time, so place the sensor within 5 feet of the Hub when first connecting the device.
- Connection with another controller: If there is one slow blink after pressing the button, the sensor is already connected to a controller. See instructions for resetting/removing/excluding your device below (Resetting the FortrezZ Moisture Sensor).
- LED behavior: For more information about what the LED’s blinks mean, check the manufacturer's manual.
For technical specifications and product details, visit our Works With SmartThings page here.