These instructions apply to the following Z-Wave locks:
- Kwikset SmartCode 910 Series Deadbolt (Traditional)
- Kwikset SmartCode 910 Series Deadbolt (Contemporary)
- Kwikset SmartCode 912 Lever Door Lock
- Kwikset SmartCode 914 Series Deadbolt
- Kwikset SmartCode 916 Touchscreen Electronic Deadbolt
Note: The above Kwikset locks are also available in ZigBee models. Consult the documentation that came with your lock if you’re unsure which communication protocol it uses (ZigBee or Z-Wave).
If needed, follow these instructions for how to connect a ZigBee Kwikset lock.
To connect a Z-Wave Kwikset lock with the SmartThings Hub
Tip: Place the lock within 10-15 feet of the SmartThings Hub during initial pairing.
In the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, press button “A” on the back panel of the lock interior once
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
To reset a Z-Wave Kwikset lock
If the Z-Wave Kwikset lock was not discovered, or if it was previously connected with another controller, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this, in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When prompted, press button “A” on the back panel of the lock interior once
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the Z-Wave Kwikset lock.
To remove a Z-Wave Kwikset lock from SmartThings
If the lock is connected but not operating as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal
- When prompted, perform the exclusion procedure to remove the device from the mobile app and from the SmartThings Hub
For technical specifications and product details, visit our Works With SmartThings page here.