If you have ever wished you could keep a pair of eyes on your home at all times, well, wish no more. A smart motion sensor connected to your smart home lets you do essentially this.
The Ecolink PIR Motion Detector offers a great way to monitor your home using SmartThings. This sensor utilizes the Z-Wave protocol and can be combined with SmartThings-compatible lights, switches, and sirens to create automations for any event. Its sensitivity can also be adjusted so that your cat or dog won't trigger a false alarm every time he strolls by.
To connect the Ecolink PIR Motion Detector in the SmartThings app
In the SmartThings mobile app:
- From the Home screen, touch the Plus (+) icon and select Device
- Select Ecolink and touch Motion sensor
- Touch Start
- Choose a Hub for the device
- Choose a Room for the device and touch Next
- While the Hub searches, remove the battery tab
To reset the Ecolink PIR Motion Detector
If the Ecolink PIR Motion Detector was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings mobile app:
- From the Home screen, touch Menu (), and select Devices
- Touch the Hub and select More Options ()
- Touch Z-Wave utilities and select Z-Wave exclusion
- When prompted, perform the exclusion process on the sensor:
- Remove and reinsert the battery
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the Ecolink PIR Motion Detector.