The GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener (GD00Z-4) lets you remotely open and close almost any sectional garage door. With both audible and visual warnings that trigger prior to remotely activated door movement, the GD00Z-4 meets UL 325-2010 safety requirements. The GD00Z-4 also includes a wireless tilt sensor that attaches to the inside of the garage door and reports whether it is "open" or "closed." This Z-Wave garage door opener provides peace of mind, convenience, security, and safety.
Connect the GD00Z-4 with SmartThings to open or close your garage door from anywhere—perfect for allowing entry for a handyman, or for closing the door if you forgot to. You can also set up automations to open or close the garage door as you arrive and leave home. The GD00Z-4 will act as a Z-Wave repeater for other Z-Wave devices on your SmartThings network.
Note: This device is compatible with the SmartThings Classic app.
To connect the GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener (GD00Z-4)
1. Install the tilt sensor
The GD00Z-4 includes a wireless tilt sensor that attaches to the inside of the garage door. The tilt sensor reports “open” or “closed” status to SmartThings.
Consult the GD00Z-4 installation instructions, which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this article, to install the tilt sensor.
2. Pair the GD00Z-4 with the SmartThings Hub
First, connect the GD00Z-4’s power cord and plug in the device within 10 feet of the SmartThings Hub.
Next, in the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, press and release the link button on the GD00Z-4
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
3. Mount and connect the garage door opener
Consult the GD00Z-4 installation instructions, which can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this article, to mount the GD00Z-4 and to connect its wires. If you need help installing the GD00Z-4, contact a certified electrician.
To reset the GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener (GD00Z-4)
If the GD00Z-4 was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When prompted, press and release the link button on the GD00Z-4
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener.
To automate the GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener (GD00Z-4)
With the GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener (GD00Z-4) and a simple Routine, you can configure your garage door to open and close automatically based on activity, time of day, or other events.
From the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap Automations
- Tap Routines if necessary
- Tap the plus icon
- Tap “What do you want to do?” to name the Routine (e.g., “Automate Garage Door”)
- Tap Next
- Tap Open or close garage doors
- Tap Garage doors
- Select the connected GD00Z-4
- Tap Done
- Tap Action to tell the garage door to Open or Close when the Routine is triggered
- Tap Done
- Tap Done again
- Configure additional Routine settings as desired (e.g., Tap Automatically perform "Routine Name" to trigger your garage door to open or close when someone arrives, everyone leaves, at a specific time, at sunrise or sunset, only during certain Modes, etc.)
- Tap Done to complete setup
Depending on how you configured the Routine, the garage door will automatically open or close when certain events occur. You can also manually trigger the Routine by tapping its icon from the main Routines view.
To remove the GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener (GD00Z-4) from SmartThings
If the GoControl Linear Garage Door Opener (GD00Z-4) is connected but not operating as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal
- When prompted, perform the exclusion procedure to remove the device from the mobile app and from the SmartThings Hub
For technical specifications and product details, visit our Works With SmartThings page here.