This guide will show you how to:
- Sign up for a new account
- Set up the Hub
- Create a Location
- Connect your Things
Sign up for a new account
First, get the free SmartThings mobile app for Android, iOS, or Windows Phone.
After downloading and installing the SmartThings app on your smartphone:
- Open the SmartThings app
- Tap Sign Up
- Enter your full name
- Enter your email address
- Confirm your email
- Enter your password (at least eight characters containing at least one number and one letter)
- Tap Create Account
- Select your country
- Tap Continue
Set up the Hub
Follow the in-app instructions to connect your Hub, which are reproduced here:
- Enter the Activation Code for your Hub
- The 6-character Activation Code for the Samsung SmartThings Hub (Hub v2) is packaged with the Hub and located on a card under the Hub's tray in the box.
You will then be prompted to set up your home (Location).
Create a Location
- Tap Grant Location Permission
- Tap Allow to give the SmartThings app permission to know your phone’s GPS coordinates. (By doing so, SmartThings can trigger different actions to happen automatically when you enter and leave your customized Location)
- Tap to give your location a name (defaults to “Home”)
- Tap This is My Location to confirm your physical location
- If needed, tap Change Location
- Long press the pin in a new spot on the map, or tap and hold the pin to drag it
- Tap and drag the blue dot to change the size of the geofence surrounding your home
- Tap Save
- Wait for the success message that your Hub has been activated
- Tap Done
Your Hub is now connected and up and running, and you’re ready to connect your Things.
Connect your Things
- Read the in-app instructions and when finished, tap OK, got it.
- The app will display the Things page
- Tap Add a Thing
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, perform the connection/inclusion process specific to that device
- Consult the device's manual for instructions
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
You’re all done! Enjoy your new smart home.
If your account is already set up and you need instructions outside of getting started, try these articles: