A smart home can also be a safe home. With the First Alert Smoke Detector (ZSMOKE) and SmartThings, you will be immediately notified at the first sign of smoke. The First Alert Smoke Detector is a Z-Wave device that emits a loud alarm when smoke is detected, and it will send an instant alert to your smartphone via SmartThings.
To connect the First Alert Smoke Detector (ZSMOKE) with the SmartThings Hub
First, slide the battery tray out of the smoke detector (on the top left side).
Insert the batteries (checking the correct orientation).
Then, in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- While the Hub searches, press and hold the detector’s test button as you slide the battery tray back into the device
- Wait about 2 seconds for the smoke detector to beep, and then release the button
- When the device is discovered, it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
To exclude the First Alert Smoke Detector (ZSMOKE)
If the First Alert Smoke Detector was not discovered, you may need to reset, or “exclude,” the device before it can successfully connect with the SmartThings Hub. To do this in the SmartThings mobile app:
- Tap the menu (Android) / More (iOS)
- Tap the Hub
- Tap Z-Wave Utilities
- Tap General Device Exclusion
- When prompted, do the following:
- Slide out the smoke detector’s battery tray
- Remove and re-insert the batteries (checking the correct orientation)
- Press and hold the detector’s test button while re-inserting the battery tray
- Wait for the smoke detector to beep (about 2 seconds)
- Release the button
After the app indicates that the device was successfully removed from SmartThings, follow the first set of instructions above to connect the First Alert device.
To remove the First Alert Smoke Detector from SmartThings
If the First Alert Smoke Detector is connected but not operating as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal
- When prompted, perform the exclusion procedure to remove the device from the mobile app and from the SmartThings Hub
To factory reset the First Alert Smoke Detector (ZSMOKE)
If excluding and removing the detector does not produce results, factory reset the device:
- Make sure the device is powered
- Press and hold the test button for 10+ seconds
For technical specifications and product details, visit our Works With SmartThings page here.