Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to its totally awesome smart coop! The CoopBoss is a sophisticated management system for your backyard chicken coop, designed to work with SmartThings. The primary function of the CoopBoss is to reliably open and close the coop’s door. When your chickens go in for the night, the door will safely shut behind them, using photoresistor and object detection technologies. With the CoopBoss, you’ll really rule the roost (and your roost will rule).
Connect the CoopBoss with the SmartThings Hub
Note: Carefully review the CoopBoss product manual before connecting the device with SmartThings.
CoopBoss is supported in the SmartThings Classic app.
1. Start the connection process via the CoopBoss
As described in the CoopBoss manual:
- Set the CoopBoss metal box close to the SmartThings Hub
- Plug the CoopBoss into AC power
- The CoopBoss will start looking for a ZigBee network to join as soon as it is plugged in
- The LEDs will show a binary number 5 as the CoopBoss searches for a network
(See Figure L in the image below)
Continue setup with the SmartThings app.
2. Connect the CoopBoss with the SmartThings Hub via the SmartThings Classic app
In the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap My Home
- Under Things, tap Add a Thing at the bottom of your Things list
- The app will say Looking for devices…
- Within a few minutes, the Hub will automatically discover the CoopBoss and it will be listed at the top of the screen
- Tap the device to rename it and tap Done
- When finished, tap Save
- Tap Ok to confirm
At this point, the CoopBoss is connected and will remember its connection with the Hub even if the power is removed.
Continue setup by mounting and calibrating the CoopBoss hardware.
3. Mount the hardware and calibrate the door
After pairing the CoopBoss to SmartThings, follow the product manual’s instructions for mounting the hardware and calibrating the door. Door calibration is required to properly configure the CoopBoss’s obstruction logic. Failure to complete this step may result in serious damage or injury.
Remove the CoopBoss from SmartThings
If the CoopBoss is connected but not operating as normal, you may need to remove the device and reconnect it with the SmartThings Hub.
To remove the device via the SmartThings Classic app:
- Tap My Home
- Tap Things
- Select the device
- Tap the gear icon
- Tap Remove
- Confirm removal (this cannot be undone)
Factory reset the CoopBoss
To factory reset the CoopBoss and remove it from its ZigBee network:
- Disconnect power from the CoopBoss
- Wait about 2 minutes
- Push and hold the PCB button
(See Figure K in the image below)
- Continue holding the button while powering the CoopBoss back on
- When all three LEDs quickly flash on and off, release the button
Once reset, the CoopBoss will automatically begin looking for a new ZigBee network to join.
- Communication Protocol: ZigBee
- Model No: H3Vx
- Power Source: Mains power
|CoopBoss Product Manual H3Vx.pdf||2 MB|