The SmartThings app makes it quick and easy to connect & control your SmartThings compatible Samsung Smart TV - all from your phone or tablet. Here you will find a list of frequently asked questions about the Samsung TV features in the SmartThings App.
For information on connecting your Samsung TV with SmartThings, check out our article here.
Is my TV compatible with the SmartThings app?
SmartThings is compatible with most 2017 and later Samsung TV models. To ensure your Samsung TV is supported in SmartThings use the steps below:
- From the Home Screen, touch the Plus (+) icon
- Select Device
- Touch the TV device type and the Samsung brand
- Select Supported Devices
Note: The app will show the supported devices available in your specific region based on your Samsung Account.
What TV features can I use in the SmartThings app?
Using SmartThings, you can remotely control the following TV features:
- Power on (depending on your TV model)
- Power off
- Channel control
- Volume control (set value via slider, mute/unmute)
- Playback control
These features can also be controlled using Custom Automations. For more information on setting up custom automations in the SmartThings app, check out our article here.
My TV shows as offline, what should I do?
If your Samsung TV is showing as offline or is not performing as expected, here are a few things you can try to fix the issue.
- Ensure the device is powered on and connected to the network.
- Force close and re-open the SmartThings app.
- Ensure the phone/tablet using the SmartThings app has both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi enabled.
- Connecting your phone and TV, the TV may show a pop-up asking to allow your phone/tablet to access the TV. Be sure to select Allow when you see this pop-up.
- As a last resort, you can try removing your device and re-adding it using the guide here.
How do I use the Screen Mirroring function in the SmartThings app?
Screen Mirroring through the SmartThings app allows you to view content from your mobile device on your Samsung TV. To begin, ensure you have added your Samsung TV in the SmartThings app. Once you have added your TV, from the SmartThings app:
- Touch the TV you would like to control
- Select the More Options in the top right
- Touch Mirror Screen (Smart View) to mirror your mobile device to the TV
- Touch View TV on Phone to mirror your TV onto your mobile device
My Screen Mirroring is not working, what should I do?
If you are unable to use Screen Mirroring in the SmartThings app, check the following troubleshooting steps:
- Ensure your devices are on the same Wi-Fi network.
As a security measure, devices need to be on the same Wi-Fi network to allow screen mirroring. This stops your neighbor broadcasting to your TV by mistake.
- Check that both devices have screen mirroring switched on.
Both devices must be on and functioning to have an open mirroring connection on both your device and the TV for mirroring to work.
- Your phone has not received permission from the TV.
Restart your phone and TV, then try connecting again. Make sure that you select Allow when it appears on the TV.
What is the "Tap View" feature and how do I use it?
Tap View allows you to simply tap your mobile device on select models* of the Samsung TV to automatically begin screen mirroring.
To do so ensure you have enabled Tap View using the steps below:
- Open the SmartThings App
- Select the Menu in the top left
- Touch the Gear Icon to view the SmartThings app settings
- Next to Tap view, Tap Sound tap the switch to turn it on.
To use Tap View, simply tap the back of your phone against your TV to mirror your phone screen. Make sure to tap gently so that you do not accidentally damage the devices. Avoid tapping your device on the corner of the TV or directly on the TV screen.
*Note: The following Samsung TV models support Tap View: Q950TS, Q900TS, Q800T, Q90T, Q80T, Q70T, Q60T, TU8500, TU8000, TU7000, The Frame (LS03T), The Sero (LS05T), The Serif ( LS01T), and The Terrace (LST7T).