The SmartThings app lets you add and control thousands of Samsung and partner Works with SmartThings smart devices with the tap of a button from anywhere in the world. While many devices can be added directly to SmartThings app - Zigbee, Z-Wave, and LAN connected devices will require a SmartThings enabled hub.
To check which devices are supported in your region, open the SmartThings app and follow these steps:
- From the Home Screen, Tap Add (+) and select Device
- Choose the Brand and Device type
- Select Supported devices
Add your Devices
SmartThings lets you add different kinds of devices using the app or the SmartThings hub. The exact steps for adding your device will depend on the manufacturer of the devices and the device type.
To add devices, follow these steps:
- From the Home Screen, Tap the Add (+) and select Device
- Note: When you first open the app, a popup may appear prompting you to add your device, just Tap ADD NOW and skip steps 1 and 2.
View and Control your Devices
You and your shared members can view and control your smart devices directly using the SmartThings app. The capabilities of each device are dependent on the manufacturer and the device itself.
Your favorited devices can be selected from the Home Screen or you can choose from all your devices by selecting the Menu (☰) and tapping Devices.
While viewing a device, select the More Options (⋮) button to edit the name or settings of your device.
Group your Devices
Device Groups tie together similar devices and control all of them as if they were one device.
Device Groups are only available for cameras and lights. You must have two or more devices to make a Device Group.
To add a device group, follow these steps:
- From the Home Screen, tap the Add (+)
- Tap Lighting Group or Camera Group
- Name the group and select which devices will be added
- Tap Save
Your device groups will be available on the Home Screen.
Remove your Devices
If a device is not responding correctly in the SmartThings app, you may need to remove and reset your device or integration.
To remove devices, follow these steps:
- From the Home Screen, select Menu (☰) and tap Devices
- Select More Options (⋮) and tap Edit
- Select the device and tap Delete device
- Tap Delete to confirm
- While deleting Z-Wave devices, your hub will enter exclusion mode and you will perform the reset process for your device (usually hitting a button)
- While deleting cloud-based connections, you may need to also remove the Linked Service using the steps here
Some devices may need to be reset or excluded before re-adding them to SmartThings.