SmartThings Find in the SmartThings app helps you locate your lost Samsung devices like phones, tablets, earbuds, watches, and more. Once a device is registered in SmartThings Find, Offline Finding leverages millions of Samsung community members to help find the last known location of your supported Galaxy device by anonymously detecting your missing devices via Bluetooth.
You can also share your devices in SmartThings Find with members of the SmartThings location to allow them to access device finding.
Note: SmartThings Find is only supported on Android devices.
Enabling SmartThings Find
To set up SmartThings Find, use the following steps.
- Open the SmartThings app
- Tap the Life tab and select Add (+)
- Choose Find and it will download the plugin for the service
- Select the devices you would like to add in SmartThings Find (you can edit this later) and tap Done
Using SmartThings Find
To view or control devices in SmartThings Find, you simply select the service under the Life tab and, on the Map, tap the device you would like to find. You can also select the List Button to show a full list of devices added to the service.
You can select the refresh button under a device's name to attempt a refresh of the device's information and location.
After choosing a device, you may see the following options depending on what kind of device you have.
- Navigate - Select this to open map navigation to the current location or last known location of that device
- Search Nearby - This will run a Bluetooth search for a device that's near, helping you locate it once you are close
- Once connected to the device, a progress bar will show how strong the signal is, indicating how close you are to the device
- A Ring Button may also show once connected allowing you to cause the device to ring
- Location History (For SmartTag) - Shows the location history for that device over the last 7 days
- Notify when left behind - Enable this to receive a notification when the device is far away from your phone
- Notify me when it's found - Enable this to get a notification when that device is anonymously detected by a member of the SmartThings Find community
- Share this device's location - Enable this to provide shared members on that location with access to your devices through SmartThings Find.
- Lost Device Control - If you would like to lock your device, erase data, etc, remotely select the linkhttps://findmymobile.samsung.com to be directed to a tool that will facilitate these options
The options shown to you will depend on which device you have and what it can do. Some devices may have features unique to them i.e. blinking the light on the S Pen.
If you share a device's location in SmartThings Find, shared members on the SmartThings location will be able to view the device in their app using their version of SmartThings Find.
Once a device is shared, it can be found by selecting Members' devices and choosing the device you would like to find. If the user that shared that device removes SmartThings Find or revokes the share, it will no longer be available on the member's devices page.
Settings in SmartThings Find
You can control the settings of SmartThings Find by selecting More (⋮) and tapping Settings which will give you the following options.
- Allow devices to be found - Select the toggle next to a device to enable or disable it in SmartThings Find.
- Select the toggle next to Offline Finding to control if SmartThings Find can locate the device even if it is offline.
- Encrypt Offline Location - Encrypt Offline adds an extra layer of security by encrypting the phone's offline location when it communicates with Find My Mobile or other devices. You will need to set a 6-digit pin that will need to be used when viewing the device if it's offline and lost.
- Unknown Tag Detection(Experimental Labs Integration) - This setting controls what happens if SmartThings Find detects an unknown SmartTag in your vicinity for too long.
- Toggle on Unknown tag alerts to revive an alert if an unknown tag is detected moving with your device
- Choose Search for unknown tags near you to do a search for unknown tags in the vicinity of your phone
- Select Safe Tags and choose an unknown tag from the list if you know who the tag belongs to and do not want it triggered as an unknown tag
- Allow use of location information - Toggle this on/off to revoke location information for SmartThings Find. If disabled, the service will not work until re-enabled.
SmartThings Find Shortcut
You can quickly access SmartThings Find quickly from your phone by adding a SmartThings Find icon to the home screen of your device.
To add the service to your home screen, follow the steps below.
- Select SmartThings Find in the SmartThings App
- Choose More (⋮) and tap Add to Home screen
- Touch and hold the icon to place it on the home screen or select Add