Routines trigger actions based on a set of conditions such as specific times, days of the week, when another device is activated (such as detecting motion), or when you manually trigger it.
To use your phone’s mobile presence in Routines, enable your phone's Location services using the steps here.
To view your Routines, tap Routines from the navigation bar in the SmartThings app.
Add a Routine
Routines in SmartThings work using an IF condition and THEN action. This means IF an indicated thing happens THEN control a device, Scene, Service, or Location setting.
To add a Routine, follow these steps:
- From the Favorites or Routines tab, tap Add (+) and select Routine
- Tap Add (+) next to IF
- Select and set the conditions that will trigger the Routine. If you selected multiple conditions:
- Tap All conditions for all conditions to be met before triggering the Routine
- Tap Any condition to require that only some conditions are met to trigger the Routine
Add a Manually Run Routine
Manually run Routines let you easily control different actions for multiple devices by tapping one button. You can both manually trigger it with the tap of a finger or automatically with a Routine.
These manually run Routines can be accessed through the Favorites or Automation tabs, voice assistants, or the SmartThings widget on your mobile device.
To add a new manually run Routine, follow these steps:
- From the Routines tab, tap Add (+)
- Enter a name for your manually run Routine and whether to add it to the Favorites tab
- Tap Add (+) next to IF and choose Manually run
- Tap Add (+) next to THEN
- Choose which actions your Routine will perform
- Select Save and name your Routine before tapping OK to confirm
- Optional: Select the Sun icon to change the Scene’s icon
Disable or Remove a Routine
You can temporarily disable Routines without deleting them by selecting the Routine and toggling Enabled/Disabled at the bottom of the screen.
To remove a Routine, follow these steps:
- From the Routines tab, tap and hold the desired Manually Run Routine
- Choose Delete
- Select Delete to confirm
Edit a Routine
To update an existing Routine with a new device or settings, edit the Routine with these steps:
- From the Routines tab, choose the manually run Routine you would like to edit
- Choose Edit
- Tap Minus (-) to remove an action or Add (+) to add actions
- Select Save